One of my family’s favourite recipes is a dessert called Platz which is a flat coffee cake with fruit and a crumb topping. It’s delicious easy to adapt to whatever seasonal fruit you have available. Apples in winter, prune plums in later summer and my favourite….rhubarb in spring and early summer.
This recipe is great to feed a crowd or to bring to a potluck. Need it dairy free? Swap out the butter for a dairy free alternative like Earth Balance or Vegan Becel.
Ingredients for Gluten Free Platz
2 cups gluten free flour mix (try this one)
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter or dairy free alternative
1 cup whole milk or unsweetened milk alternative
1 egg, slightly beaten
4 cups rhubarb, washed and cut up (or cherries, blueberries, apricots, peaches, apples or prune plums)
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup gluten free flour mix (try this one)
1/2 cup very soft butter or dairy free alternative
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Mix in butter with a pastry blender.
- Add in milk and slightly beaten egg. Stir until it comes together.
- With wet hands, pat dough into a greased 10 X 15 inch pan. The dough will be sticky.
- Cover dough with 1/4 inches slices of fruit of choice.
- Make crumbs. Mix sugar and flour; cut in butter with a pastry blender until crumbly.
- Sprinkle this mixture over fruit.
- Bake at 375F for 30 minute