One of the struggles of eating gluten free is getting enough FIBRE into your diet. Without putting intention behind eating well, it’s easy to fall back on processed, low nutrient gluten free products. Packaged gluten free bread, gluten free rice crackers, gluten free baking…those products are usually full of starch and lacking of nutrients. Without whole grains it is hard to get enough fibre in your day.
To have a healthy gut, you need fibre. Fibre is famous for helping keep us regular and decreasing constipation, but it also helps feed the good bacteria in your gut! That bacteria is central around health and fighting disease.
This recipe is high in fibre thanks to the use of oat bran (always use certified gluten free oat products), a gluten free flour mixture that is 50% whole grain, almond flour and ground flaxseed. You will find it moist, delicious and tasty! These muffins make an awesome addition to breakfast, lunch or snacks!
Gluten free oat bran almond banana muffins
1 cup certified gluten free oat bran
1/2 cup gluten free flour mixture (like this one)
1/2 cup almond flour, certified gluten free (like this one)
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup chocolate chips or raisins
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 mashed bananas, very ripe
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup light oil such as grape seed
1 cup of milk or milk alternative such as soy or almond, unsweetened
1 egg replacer (like this one), or 1 regular egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.
2. Mash banana well, add to a medium sized bowl. Add wet ingredients to the bowl. Whisk well until combined.
3. Preheat oven to 350F and line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until all incorporated.
5. Divide batter between muffin cups and bake in preheated over for approximately 17-19 minutes or until set.
6. Allow muffins to cool for a few minutes before removing from tin. Store in an airtight container for a couple days in the fridge or longer in the freezer. Reheat before serving.