Gluten free bagels from four ingredients. Too good to be true? Nope. This recipe will come together in about 15 minutes in the kitchen and will yield bagels that will have you doing a happy dance around your kitchen.
Anything you bake in your own kitchen is going to be better nutritionally than the store bought version. This is especially true for gluten free baking because it’s usually heavy on sugar and fat to compensate for taste. And the price tag? Baking at home is usually a fraction of the price.
The beauty of these bagels is that you can dress them up any way you like! I will provide some different variation ideas below but feel free to experiment. These are very easily doubled or tripled to make a bigger batch.
I like to refer to myself as a “perfectly imperfect baker”. I find it takes the pressure off myself and then I just have fun in the kitchen. Have the courage to just TRY baking something gluten free is the biggest hurdle. This is a good place to start. Let’s hop into the kitchen and get started! Recipe slightly adapted from Skinnytaste.
Gluten Free Four Ingredient Bagels
1 cup gluten free flour mixture (like this one)
1 cup fat free Greek-style yogurt (lactose free if needed)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Eggs whites for an egg wash, optional
- 2-3 tablespoons of raisins and 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Sprinkle with Everything but the Bagel seasoning or make your own
- Sprinkle on top or mix in Parmesan, sharp cheddar or smoked cheese
- Use vanilla Greek yogurt and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar for a sweet treat
- Poppy seeds
- Mix in flaxseed or chia seed to make a higher fibre bagel
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk well. Add the yogurt and mix with a fork or spatula until well combined.
3. In a stand up mixer, mix the dough with a hook for about 30 seconds until it looks well blended and fairly smooth. Without a mixer, knead about 15 times with a damp hand to prevent sticking.
4. Divide into 4 equal balls. Roll each ball into 3/4-inch thick ropes and join the ends to form bagels. Or you can make a ball and poke a hole in the center then stretch it slightly. It helps to wet your hands (damp but not too wet) to keep the dough from sticking to them.
5. Top with egg wash (beat an egg white and brush over bagels). Sprinkle with seasoning of your choice.
6. Bake on the top rack of the oven for 20-25 minutes until browned. Let cool at least 10 minutes before cutting.