About Clear Focus Nutrition
A registered dietitian living with celiac disease, offering credible and trustworthy advice.
47% of patients still experience stomach symptoms one year post diagnosis of celiac disease.
Are you one of them?
I can help you be symptom free.
Who is Amy Horrock?
How is she different from other dietitians?
I’m Amy, a passionate registered dietitian, toddler mom, celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity advocate.
In 2009 I finished my degree at the University of Manitoba with a degree in Human Nutritional Sciences. I graduated at the top of my class, a tiny bit below my twin sister (I may still be harbouring some competitive disgruntlement!). I went on to complete a year of internship in Winnipeg, Manitoba to become a registered dietitian.
I live in beautiful Victoria, BC with my husband and young son. I am registered with the College of Dietitians of BC, a proud member of the Dietitians of Canada and Canadian Celiac Association.
My experience is diverse including clinical work, project and change management within health authorities and I’ve had a special interest in celiac disease and gut health for over five years.
Dietitians are like any other health professional. We often specialize.
It’s impossible to know details of every area in nutrition as dietitians. I chose celiac disease and gut health because I have personal experience with it. I live with non-celiac gluten sensitivity and managed IBS which I have struggled with since childhood.
Soon after our honeymoon, my husband was diagnosed with celiac disease. It was unexpected and turned our world upside down.
It shouldn’t have been a surprise really.
He had textbook symptoms of celiac disease. He was very thin, anemic, had trouble sleeping and concentrating, abdominal symptoms, pain and ate a ridiculous amount of food but couldn’t gain a pound! His blood work was off the charts with celiac specific antibody levels and his intestinal biopsy confirmed his diagnosis of celiac disease.
As a registered dietitian, I thought it would be easy to navigate the gluten free world. Just eat gluten free! How hard could it be?
I was wrong. It was hard. He felt even sicker before he felt better.
Eating gluten free was just ONE PIECE OF THE PUZZLE to healing and becoming symptom free.
Our healing journey
It took well OVER A YEAR for my husband to heal. He had a number of significant set backs including a couple trips to the ER, CT scans, an MRI, x-rays, an EKG, multiple rounds of blood work and one doctor even diagnosed (incorrectly) him with an abdominal tumour. It was a scary time.
He was really sick.
When we asked for answers to his severe abdominal pain flare ups and other symptoms his doctor’s kept shrugging and saying “I’m not sure what we can do, just don’t eat gluten”.
We had to figure things out on our own.
Healing came with strict attention to celiac safe foods, adding in highly nourishing foods, correcting nutrient deficiencies, supporting gut healing, identifying some underlying food intolerance, reducing inflammation and calming the mind and body.
Why I do what I do
I want to help people feel better and be symptoms free.
Many people with celiac or non-celiac gluten sensitivity agree they may feel better but not completely. Often there are other factors that keep someone from feeling their best.
Managing celiac disease and related symptoms largely falls to a skilled dietitian.
“The most powerful tool…the ability to heal…rests in the hands of a knowledgeable dietitian. This is the key figure for the proper treatment of celiac disease and other gluten-related disorders”. – Alessio Fasano, MD Founder and Director of the Centre for Celiac Research at Massachusetts General Hospital Harvard Medical School
Can you relate to this:
- Did you expect to feel better after going gluten free?
- Are you gaining more weight that you think is healthy?
- Do you still struggle with ongoing symptoms?
- Elevated tTg antibody levels
- Persistent intestinal damage
- Persistent anemia
- Unresolved nutrient deficiencies
- Stomach pain and bloating
- Constipation or diarrhea
Did you know that 47% of patients still experience stomach symptoms one year post diagnosis of celiac disease?
I can help.
Benefits of working with me
- Feel better! Reduce or eliminate persistent symptoms
- Improved your energy levels
- Resolve nutrient deficiencies
- Know how to get adequate nutrients in your diet
- Confidently prepare safe gluten free foods
- Identify your own digestive symptom triggers
- Become organized around meal planning
- Evening and weekend sessions are available to suit your schedule
- Fast availability, no lengthy weight list
- Sessions are done in the comfort of your own home with a virtual conferencing link. No driving, no parking, no hassle!
- I work with clients across Canada
Nutrition coaching features
- Personalized nutrition advice from a qualified and experienced registered dietitian
- Action steps to improve your current health status
- Specific recommendations on improving your nutritional intake
- Resources to help inform you
Contact me to start feeling better
My eBook can help get you started